When you want to perform a search based on a patent’s classification code and its description, then you can use Classification Search. If you are unsure of the code, you can use Classification Query to find out. The Classification Query is integrated into the Classification Search.
In the Advanced Search tab:
- Use the dropdown list for search parameters.
2. Choose one of the classification types under Classification from the dropdown menu. Learn more about the difference between classification with hierarchy and without in this article.
3. Key in the classification number and click Count for how many patents as a result.
4. Search results will now include both the patents in that specific subgroup and those found within its child subgroup.
The hierarchical classification has been integrated natively into the Classification Query window, which is accessible under the customized query box: users can access it to perform a keyword search among both parent and child subclasses to narrow down the search results.
- Click the icon to enter classification query
- In Classification Query, key in the search term and exclusions then click Search. Tick the checkboxes of the categories you want to use, click on the Arrow Right button, then click on Convert to Query.
You can also do a quick find based on the first letter or the section, from “A” to “H”.
- Then, the classification codes will appear on the search box.
Similarly, you can also go to Quick Search and choose one of the classification types under Classification from the drop-down menu.